Thursday, February 01, 2007

Louis Sachar: Holes

I totally forgot what an amazing story this is! This is the third reading of it, and I bawled at the end. Stanley Yelnats (stanley backwards) has terrible luck, doesn't like himself very much, and is forced to dig 5x5x5 holes in the middle of the desert as punishment ("this isn't a girl scout camp") for a crime he didn't commit.

Sachar weaves a family's history into the tale among the modern Stanley's detailed experience. The end of the story, while tidily wrapped up, is original and masterful in the manner the entire text was written.

Really a unique story, and I am SO glad I haven't (and won't) see the movie...I love the images of Caveman and Zero I have in my head, and have no desire to have anyone else's interpretation. I love my imagination!!

Definitely check this book out!

No comments: