Saturday, May 20, 2006

Philip Pullman: The Golden Compass


WOW.
Ok, for those of you who have only begun--KEEP GOING!!!
I was really unsure I would enjoy this book initially, but finally after about the fifth chapter I was totally hooked.

Action-packed, interesting, imaginative, and a great heroine make up an extremely creative story. Lyra's world is similar to ours, but every human has an animal daemon (almost like a soul that chats with, comforts, and protects its human). Children's daemons change form (mainly to emulate their human's emotion/climate), but when children reach adulthood, the daemon permanently chooses an animal form.

The "controversial" part of the text doesn't really hit until the end of the novel, and I see how some religious sects might take offense, but it really is a masterfully crafted text. The end is also slightly violent and graphic, but not overly done.

Lyra is destined to do things for her world, but what they are have yet to be realized.

I also like this version of the text's cover more than the trade paperbacks I have--they aren't as fun-looking, and look much more like "grown-up" books.

No comments: